Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Rain or Shine

Last week was BEAUTIFUL. Sunny, warm, perfect for lots of this:
Elyette is a pro now at riding "with pedals and no training wheels" as she will tell you. We tried the no training wheels and no pedals method of learning to ride a bike.
(I'm lovin' the look of determination on her face)
Basically the idea is they get a feel for balance while scooting around on the pedal-less bike before. After a few days of "scooting", the pedals went back on and she was a die hard at practicing (reaching 2+ hours at the park before I had to force our departure). Not to mention I reached a new level of one-handed (baby on the hip) abilities while helping her learn. Charlotte was a good sport about playing on the grass too to free up my hands from time to time.
(hello Fabio. rrrowr)
I can't say whether or not I thought the "scooting" helped that much, because I have no "control" to compare too. I think it may have helped a little, but I also think it got her into some bad habits, like putting her feet in front of the pedals and not using the breaks to stop... both dangerous habits she had to "un-learn". All the same, she rides now and its fun for us to all bike to school now (well, I jog with the stroller- Any adult women bike recommendations? I'm dying to get one since our last was stolen).

We didn't bike to school today. Since more appropriate February weather set in. It poured this morning:

I loved it. So did the kids :)- this was during breakfast at about 7:45am. We just had to take advantage instantly.
I admit I got a rather homesick for my northwest though, even before it dumped :). I think there's something about that smell of pending rain.

Ah... well anyway, LIFE IS GOOD... rain OR shine!

2 comments:

Marissa said...

I miss it too! it was suppose to rain last night, snowed instead :P but that dark cloud rolling in made me homesick. others probably think I'm ridiculous for missing that. Yay for riding bikes! Carson and I have schwin's but I need to get a seat pad or something. I used the one in the girls locker room (b/c still sore from running and had an interview later in the day) bruised me!

and yes, nice char! :)

Love you! and miss you.

Grant, Sarah, Edwin, and Leland said...

I miss the Northwest too, and I totally can smell the right before it's going to rain smell, it's a wonderful smell. I miss you guys, I just can't believe how big all of your kids are getting, wow! You're officially a mom, I know you were about 5yrs+ ago, but still sometimes, I have to remind myself I'm a mom, and not a teenager anymore. It's settling more and more as the years go by.

Well I love always checking your blog and seeing how you're doing. I miss you, oh, we're back in Utah. I'm not sure if I told you that.