Tuesday, September 16, 2008

For Dad

Handsome guy, huh? Yep, thats my dad! His name is Steven. He's one of those rare treasures in this world. The kind that doesn't have mansions, titles, and a huge salary as proof his greatness and hardwork, but rather a loving family. A man who teaches by example and trust in the Lord. The kind thats been given far more than his fair share of lemons in life (and I'm only aware of a small portion of those lemons) and makes them into lemonade.

Let's be totally honest here, too. My dad is not the sort of sugar coated teddy bear of a man sharing his lemonade with the masses, either. He's rough, strong, hardworking, has high expectations, and even grumbles sometimes, but you'll never meet a man so loving, tender, patient, or humble. You'd have to be to raise 7 daughters! He's my rock and I couldn't admire him more! I could go on and on, but he is also too modest for much flattery. Instead, I'd like to provoke some action on his behalf...

You see, about a year and a half ago my dad was diagnosed with ALS. Often referred to as Lou Gehrig's disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a progressive, fatal neuromuscular disease that weakens and eventually destroys motor neurons. In other words, for reasons that are totally unknown, the motor neurons basically stop signaling the muscles of the body to work. It often starts in the arms and legs and then begins to rob the body of it's ability to walk, speak, swallow and breathe.It does not effect any mental functioning, just the muscle of the body.

There are no known causes of ALS and there is no cure. Fifty percent of those living with ALS die within 3 years of diagnosis; 20% live 5 years; and 10% live 10 years. 

We're realistic about ALS, but we are also optomistic. We want to help raise funds for research and to help other families living with ALS.  

We've started a team, "Steve's Stripling Warriors" for the Walk to defeat ALS. The walk we are part of is in Seattle on September 27th so I'd like to see what we can accomplish this next week before the walk, but any help anytime is MUCH appreciated. 

So show us your love and support: 

- Make a donation: It does not have to be anything big, a dollar here and there makes a difference and really the support is what is most welcome!
- Join the team: If you aren't in Seattle to actually walk you can still join us is raising funds. Boz, Jack, Elyette, and I can't be in Seattle, but we are signed up as "virtual walkers". 
-Leave a comment: Even if you hardly know us, leave a comment on this blog post. Just leave your name if you'd like. For each person/group that leaves thier name and/or comment we will donate $1 to the cause.

Thanks for helping us show Dad/Grampa how much we love and appreciate him!

From a few of Steve's Stripling Warriors.
We honor you, and we love you!

-Boz, Maegan, Elyette, and Jack


Note: I've put added a link for donations on our blog's side tab so you can see our progress and/or make donations from there. 

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I love grampa!

Unknown said...

I love grampa too!

maegan said...

I'm with Jack and Elyette!

Brittany said...

Sorry about your dad. Good luck with raising money and those doing the walk.

Heather said...

So, I just leave a comment and that helps?

I think it is great that you're family is trying to raise awareness and funds about it! We'll be keeping you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

Miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

Good Luck!

brooke said...

Good luck to your family. Too bad you cannot be there to do the walk. Sending good thoughts to your dad and you guys as well...Love the Evan Millar Family.

Natalee Maynes said...

I am so sorry to hear about this. We went through a long, difficult battle with my dad with cancer and it was the most difficult thing I've ever done. If you ever need to vent/break down/chat, this is one area I can promise you 100% empathy. Hang in there. We'll definitely pray for you and your dad.